You want to buy an electric scooter - at the best price? Great! We have all the information and tips on the subject for you.
Buying an electric scooter: All you need to know
Start your scooter, put on your helmet and feel the freedom. No question: electric scooters are a total trend. And for good reason: They don’t pollute our environment as other scooters with combustion engines do and are perhaps the coolest means of transport, especially in the warm months. Do you want to buy an electric scooter – for a reasonable price? We have all the information for you on the subject of electric scooter costs and we’ll also tell you how to get your financial subsidy.
Plus: everything you need to know about registration and maintenance, driving licenses, insurance and battery life. Let’s get into it, shall we?
Why buy an electric scooter? 5 good reasons
Awareness of the impending climate catastrophe is growing every day. And that’s a good thing! So it's hardly surprising that electric scooters are becoming more and more popular and have undoubtedly become a trend. In addition, the prices for rechargeable batteries on the market are constantly falling and, above all, the younger generations in the metropolises are no longer interested in big cars. Electric scooters are the most convenient way to get from A to B, especially for short distances. Do you need more reasons to buy an electric scooter? No problem!
- 1Low cost Buying an electric scooter is a one-time investment. After that, you hardly have any more costs, since you can simply charge the battery of your vehicle at your power outlet at home or at public charging stations. There is no need to fill up with fuel.
- 2Maintenance? Rarely! This is accompanied by the fact that electric scooters only require very little maintenance, since high-quality electric scooters only have a few wearing parts. Due to the fact that the environmentally friendly scooters do not have a combustion engine, the durability is higher. In other words, you only have to pay a few costs here.
- 3Good for the environment Perhaps the most important reason to buy an electric scooter: It is currently one of the most sustainable alternatives for getting around. You don't pollute the environment with exhaust gasses because you don't use fossil fuels. In addition, electric scooters are also wonderfully quiet.
- 4Super compact If you want to buy an electric scooter, prepare yourself for less stress in traffic. Searching for a parking space and annoying traffic jams belong to the past. You can cruise past everyone (even during rush hour) and always find a suitable space to park your scooter.
- 5It looks super stylish Especially if you rely on one of the unu models. Because the beautiful electric scooters are already true design icons and the daily newspaper "Der Standard“ calls them "Tesla on two wheels". There is no cooler way to get through the city.
What do electric scooters cost? Well, unfortunately, it is hard to give an answer to that question. The prices for electromobility can vary greatly (as does the quality). The particularly cheap models usually do not have a good battery life. They are also sluggish to drive, which can be tiring, especially on the road. In addition, they wear out comparatively faster. So don't be fooled by the lowest price.
At unu you get a lot for your money. For a fair 3.499 Euros you get our unu Scooter Move (2kW) and ride around in style. No hidden costs, but lots of advantages:
- 1Lots of space: unu electric scooters have a large, comfortable seat for two adults. There is enough space underneath the seat, so that you can stow all your things and be prepared for every situation.
- 2Super fast on the go: Our models are particularly maneuverable and accelerate particularly quickly. After all, high-quality batteries from LG are installed in the electric scooters from unu. In short: This scooter will usually get you to your destination faster and guaranteed to be less stressful than a bicycle, train or car ever could.
- 3Long range: If you use two batteries with your unu e-scooter, you can drive up to 100 km - without having to charge the batteries on the road. So that's approximately several days. Really smart: While you brake, energy is recovered for the built-in Bosch motor - the key word is recuperation.
- 4Cheaper than public transport: You can travel up to 50 km with one battery charge. If you use current energy prices, you don't even pay 50 cents for it. So you can't get away from the spot cheaper.
- 5Always up to date: If your unu Scooter Pro has new functions, you can update them directly via an over-the-air update. Quite simply with your smartphone.
- 6Easy-peasy online: buy your electric scooter from the comfort of your sofa? No Prob! At unu, the entire process is digital. If you are unsure whether the electric scooter is right for you, you can easily book a test drive in advance. The scooter will be delivered to your doorstep.
- 7Subscribe to an unu: If you want to pay a monthly fee instead of paying for the scooter at once, you can simply subscribe to one of our scooters. You don't have to take care of anything other than driving since the scooter will be delivered including a number plate, ready to drive.
Have you found your favorite model and been able to buy your electric scooter from unu? Yeah! We are happy for you. Now you have to take care of administrative things like registration and insurance. We have the most important must-knows.
Funding programs and electric scooter subsidy
Perhaps the best news: Anyone who wants to buy an electric scooter will be happy to receive grants in some federal states and cities - thanks to special e-mobility funding programs. Emission-free cruising is therefore rewarded. These subsidies usually come from the federal government, states, municipalities, public utilities or municipalities. Some of these are direct grants or scrapping bonuses when buying an e-scooter - this significantly reduces the electric scooter costs for you. We have more information for you here.
Driving license/permit for your electric scooter
In contrast to e-scooters, you need a valid driver's license for your electric scooter, i.e. a class B or class AM driver's license.
Insurance for electric scooters: what do you need to consider?
Briefly: Every e-scooter that drives faster than 6 km/h of its own accord needs its own liability insurance in Germany. This is mandatory if you want to use your electric scooter on public roads. That's why you should take care of the right insurance after buying your unu electric scooter. The insurance must be renewed every year.
There are a wide variety of providers on the market who offer partial and fully comprehensive insurance in addition to liability insurance. The price for liability insurance for your e-scooter is around 40-80 euros. In our article on electric scooter insurance, we have explained in detail what liability covers for you and whether additional partial or even fully comprehensive insurance is worthwhile for you.
Electric scooter approval
What makes buying an electric scooter particularly attractive: You don't need an extra permit. You don't have to pay any vehicle tax either, which further reduces the cost of your e-scooter. But: The already mentioned liability insurance for your e-scooter is sufficient, but without valid insurance you are not allowed on the road.
Your battery life with the electric scooter
Of course it always depends on the model. The battery life of an electric scooter can vary greatly. Depending on whether you have opted for a high-quality model. A battery from unu, for example, will take you up to 50 kilometers with one charge. A battery is fully charged in seven hours, in less than five hours you can already charge 70%.
Would you like more information about e-mobility and electric scooters? Then have a look at our unu blog, get inspired and find all the information you need.